By including the Southern Maine Agency on Aging in your planned giving, you can help ensure lasting support for the most pressing needs of older adults in southern Maine, while also realizing your tax, financial and estate planning goals.
This section provides overall information on some of the options for planned giving. When you are ready to receive personalized assistance with your planning, we encourage you to give us a call. Of course, we also strongly recommend that you consult with your legal, financial and tax advisors, as you consider establishing any type of planned gift.
Here are some of the planned giving options:
- Outright Gift. You can give a donation of cash, securities, personal property or real estate. This outright gift can be deducted from your income taxes.
- Bequest in Will or Trust. You can name Southern Maine Agency on Aging as the beneficiary of your (full or partial) estate. This designation will allow your bequest to be excluded from your taxable estate.
- Charitable Gift Annuities. You can give a charitable gift annuity to Southern Maine Agency on Aging. Charitable Gift Annuities are simple gift arrangements that provide the donor with fixed, lifetime payments (along with several tax and financial benefits), while also giving a charitable gift to the Southern Maine Agency on Aging.
- Life Insurance. You can give a gift of an existing or new policy naming Southern Maine Agency on Aging as beneficiary. This designation will allow your life insurance to be excluded from your taxable estate.
- Retirement Plans. You can name the Southern Maine Agency on Aging as beneficiary of your (full or partial) retirement plan. This designation can help you avoid high income/estate taxes on this asset.
- Real Estate. You can donate real estate (either in full or with a retained life estate) to the Southern Maine Agency on Aging and receive an immediate income tax deduction for the charitable value of the gift.
- An Endowed Gift. You can give a gift to the Southern Maine Agency on Aging's endowment. An endowment is a fund of money, the principal of which is held in perpetuity and invested, from which we can only use the return on the investment. Giving to our endowment helps our organization remain forward-looking and ready to meet our mission regardless of economic downturns.
Become Part of the Legacy Society
Our Legacy Society honors individuals who make a planned gift or a gift of $2,000 or more to the Southern Maine Agency on Aging’s endowment.